Harley-Davidson produced the “Panhead” from 1948 till 1965 with the nickname coming from the distinct shape of the motor’s valve covers which resembled an upside down pan. They were originally built with either a 61 cubic inch motor or a 74 cubic inch motor but the production of the 61 cubic inch version was ended in 1952.
In 1959, you could purchase a Panhead for around $1,345.00 and this bike featured was a one owner bike that was purchased in Illinois and has the original bill of sale from Monmouth, Illinois sold on August 14th 1959 out of Davenport, Iowa.
This bike is completely un-restored and has the original hi-fi turquoise paint. It features optional equipment called “The king of the highway package” which includes the chrome wheels, chrome handlebars, windshield, saddlebags, dual exhaust, turn signals/indicators, and cigarette lighter. It has been judged by the Antique Motorcycle Club of America at 99 ½ points and placed in the winner’s circle.
Special thanks to Jeff and Kristal from Iron Horse Livery for preserving this piece of our motorcycling history and giving us a glimpse of the past and what it was like to ride a motorcycle ~ back in the day!